An active shooter event should be every business’ worst fear. While training and protocols are the primary focus to mitigate the risk of violence, an often forgotten aspect of preparedness is what to do after a violent attack. Flynn calls this the “crisis after the crisis,” and it needs to be addressed in emergency management planning, especially in grocery stores.
What Happens After an Active Shooter Event?
- All individuals must be accounted for (including any casualties)
- The incident site becomes an active crime scene
- The event must be communicated to victims, staff, families, and the media
- Mental health resources must be made available for staff and any individuals at the scene
- A transition plan must be made to re-open
Read the full Grocery Dive article here.